Shyness is a condition that affects almost half the population, so you are definitely not alone. It can be caused by a variety of issues including biological factors, culture, low self-concept, and social isolation that can occur as a result of our growing dependence on technology.
Don’t let your shyness cause a hard time in social situations or have a negative effect on your job prospects and interpersonal relationships. The best way to break an awkward silence or overcome shyness is to prepare some questions you can ask which are appropriate to the purpose of the meeting.
Smart questions can help you to build a good reputation, earn respect, and most importantly fill in the gaps.
- Do you think my resume fits my goal?
- Do you know any industry associations or business chambers that I should look into?
- Do you think my skill sets are best suited to the industries I’m trying to enter?
- Do you think any further training would be beneficial to my goal?
- Do you know of anyone who would be prepared to talk with me in regards to my interests?
Every now and then be sure put in some questions to your host about him or her. Everyone likes to share their stories and talk about themselves.
- What are your thoughts as to the industry or market trend?
- If you were hiring someone today, what would be the key skills/characteristics that you would be looking for?
- How did you get into your current job or the industry?
- Have you come across any interesting incidents since you have been in this role?
- Describe your perfect client so I could refer you if I come across anyone suitable in the future.
- What do you enjoy the most working as XYZ?